Monday, May 11, 2009

Polarizing Event

As an adult, have you ever learned a new definition of a word? When I was in grade school I memorized lots of definitions of words for the test at the end of the week. Now that I'm 'all grown up' it's a rarity that I learn a new definition. Sometimes, on occasion, I'll take the time to look up a word using Google's browser and voila (define: voila) you've got the definition quickly and painlessly. Sometimes after that I'll actually add that new word into my personal vocabulary and use it in a sentence while conversing with someone. It's a proud moment indeed!

Anyway, I had such a moment the other day. I have heard the word polarize thousands of times in the media. I finally looked it up the other day. In the context of politics it means divided. To use it in a sentence one might say that our country is polarized on many important topics.

In Iowa, where I live, it happened. We had a polarizing event; a dividing event. Our government is now recognizing gay marriages legally.

First, I'm a sinner. I always have been and I always will be until I'm united with Him in heaven. I hate my sin. It separates me from God. It adds strife to relationships. It makes working with others difficult. It ruins companies and governments and countries. It causes war and hate and enmity. It leads to corruption. It started awhile ago with a simple apple and continues to snowball. It frustrates even the best of people. Ironically, it's what keeps me coming back to God because I know that sin is bigger than me.

In God's Word, it states that sexual immorality leads to the worst possible outcome (I Corinthians 6:9). The Bible also shows us how it can affect a civilization: Genesis 19. In reading these two passages I feel a sense of sadness because it means that those who that practice this sin either don't know the consequences or they are choosing to ignore them.

I'm bothered by the audacity of our government. On the other hand I know that this decision is really just about paperwork and not about love or relationships. Folks that practice this behavior will go ahead with it regardless whether their government says it's OK to marry. Ultimately what bothers me is that as a society we're one step closer to Sodom and Gomorrah and one step further from God's plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment